A Short History of Hayes Barton Baptist Church

In the early 1920s, Raleigh was growing. The streetcar tracks came down Glenwood Avenue and went all the way to Bloomsbury Park, and lots were being sold in the area called “Hayes Barton.” The 1922–1923 City Directory showed the street names Aycock, Vance, and Cowper, but only one house on Aycock. It was in 1922 that the Baptist City Council of Raleigh, forerunner of the Raleigh Baptist Association, purchased a site for a new Baptist church between Whitaker Mill and White Oak roads at Glenwood Avenue, in anticipation of the city’s northerly growth.

By 1926, there were a number of houses in the area, and in the fall of that year, a number of meetings were held in the neighborhood for the purpose of organizing a Baptist church. Officers were named, and yes, being Baptists, committees were appointed.

On Sunday, November 7, 1926, at 2:30 p.m. in the North Vanguard Presbyterian Church—now Westminster Presbyterian Church—on Whitaker Mill Road, Hayes Barton Baptist Church was organized.

Short History was last modified: April 1st, 2015 by TexTivia Support